Monday, November 24, 2008

Sleep Training?

So my son is now almost 4 months old. He's super cute and cuddly...but still doesn't always sleep the way I want him to.

I have mixed feelings about sleep training. On the one hand I REALLY want to sleep--and some nights I do; he can sleep through the night, he just doesn't most of the time. On the other hand I don't really like the idea of "training" my poor little boy for selfish reasons. I also want him to be able to sleep on his own-a skill he will really need. I've heard of kids 7 years old and still unable to fall asleep without help calming down.

When it comes down to it I think I could go with a no-cry method. I can't stand letting him cry. I mean there's a reason it gives me a stomach ache right?

So right now the method is nursing him to sleep--which a lot of people don't like. I've read all kinds of objections to that online. The only really objection I have is that it doesn't really make him sleep through the night. He actually seems to sleep longer when he falls asleep in his crib. Also, it means that every time he wakes up I'm up for about 20 min feeding him and making sure he is asleep enough that when I move him back to the crib he doesn't wake up.

So I'm researching the no-cry method. So far I've found some commentaries on the Pantley method but haven't actually found any of the real tricks. All I've learned is to put him on a predictable night time schedule--do the same things every night before putting him down. Now just to figure out what time is a good bed time....

I'll keep ya updated as I find more information on this subject

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

I feel like you about sleep training. When alice was about 10 months old, though, her crying at night changed to more of complaining and she wouldn't stop even if I picked her up. Up until that point we always nursed to sleep, too, but she would wake up as soon as I set her down. I thing that it gets to a point where you just know it's ok to let your baby fuss for a few minutes, and then they learn to fall asleep on their own. :) Just my opinion!