Sunday, July 24, 2005

ok so i don't know what to post.

I just wrote this. Some of you were there. And yes it is VERY embalashed, or whatever that word is. i made up details

Waiting for a Miracle

Everyone’s reason was different as we lay on the beach that night. Some wanted to escape pressures of college life, some to grow closer to one another, some for no reason at all. I was there to witness a miracle my friend has promised. There we were, all dozen of us on towels and sheets, around an illegal beach fire dug deep into the chilly sand. We huddled together in small groups. I lay close to my friend, waiting patiently for the beauty I had never seen.
We had arrived at the beach at sunset. It was beautiful but not what I had come for. For some that was the only beautiful moment in the sky. After that they did not look up. They stared only into the flames reflected off each other’s eyes. For us, the magic had not yet begun.
The stars awoke. Slowly they appeared until the entire sky seemed to have erupted with glittering lights. My eyes darted searching for my miracle. Still the stars sparkled with undeniable and unmoving beauty.
We could not hear our friends. We were in a world all our own with trivial conversation coming in spurts. We touched at our shoulders and heads but I could feel his warmth. The constant lullaby of the ocean waves calmed and drew us away from this earth bound existence. We stared upwards, where dreams come true. It takes only one shooting star. All my hopes could fly with that star to the dream-weaver, the one we all believe in.
He saw one! “Not fair!” I yelled. He had seen many in his life. I wished more than anything to experience nature’s magic manifested in the sky.
To take my mind off my failure he began to point out all the constellations. The Big Dipper and the Little Dipper were both easy. Even as a young girl I had been able to find those. He could find the Great Bear from that. Next was Orion’s Belt. That took only a second longer to spot. We tried to outline Orion but gave up because there were too many stars.
The waves continued to sing as we pointed out each star pattern. Its humming was the constant backdrop to our thoughts, spoken and silent. The waves were coming closer but they would never reach us near the fire. Logic told us that high tide would not come but logic did not matter. It was magic. Our fire, our friendship, our wishes made a ring around us that nothing could touch. Nothing could reach us but the cool of the sand seeping upwards and the heat of the flames flickering above our heads. The sweet sea air tasting like long lost memories finished the spell. Deeply we drank and hoped to taste stars.
Still, I had not yet made my wish. I had one; I knew I did not have long. Stars come and go as they please and as quickly as they can. So there I lay, attempting to be patient. The conversation halted. I was searching through all the constellations over and over again. He was doing the same, hoping he could help me, knowing he could never could. This was a mission I must accomplish on my own.
“Oh! I saw it! Did you see it?!” I sounded like a little school girl I was so excited. My friend simply smiled, entertained by at my girlish glee. I had made my wish. I had seen a heavenly angel shoot across the night sky on an errand too urgent to take the route humans cannot witness. What this star needed to accomplish that night I will never know. But its momentary presence is forever painted in my imagination. There was pure and simple happiness one never regrets; when all the senses are alight and the most majestic miracle streaks across the sky.

6 comments:

Davey From The Block said...

Nice story. I really enjoyed reading it. It keeps me happy.

-Dave

Shaleen said...

I saw my first shooting star on one of our "illegal" fire nights too! It was absolutely awesome. ^_^ Love ya! *hugs*

Amanda/Mandie said...

My first star shower was a night on the beach long before I met any of you here. It's still magical every time I see one. Draws me near to Heavenly Father knowing that He is mindful of our righteous hopes and desires. It's better when the environment you're in is one of comfort and friendship.

a man from Saipan said...

Beautiful, absolutely magnificent. The clarity of ones memory is sufficient.

I wish I could explain.

Kelsey said...

yeah benson i wish you could explain too, i'm confuzed.

E.Marie said...

that is a beautiful piece of writing. i think all of us hold a place in our hearts for the beach. I have at least for as long as i can remember. Love the water. See ya later hun